One of the most common issues that can happen with an air conditioner during the summer is a frozen evaporator coil. There are many problems that can happen that will increase the likelihood of an evaporator coil freezing over. The following list goes into detail with what you should inspect with your air conditioning unit before you contact a professional air conditioning service company for assistance.
If your evaporator coil has frozen over you should immediately turn off the air conditioning unit. If you continue to operate the system it is possible that the compressor may become damaged. If you need assistance then give Minuteman Heating and Air a call and schedule an appointment for service.
Reasons Why an Evaporator Coil May Freeze
- If the air flow is restricted around the evaporator coil then the temperature of the coil will eventually drop below freezing point. Whenever this happens the surrounding humidity and condensation with begin to freeze over.
- Frequently change the air filter in the air conditioning system to ensure it stays clean. If this is not done frequently then the air filter could be the very reason why the coils are freezing up. Replacing the air filter will typically resolve this.
- If possible, inspect the evaporator coils from the side of the intake to see if they are clean. If they appear to be corroded then they will need to be professionally cleaned. This is best left with a professional service company, such as, Minuteman Heating and Air.
If you decide to attempt to clean the coils yourself then you will need the proper cleaning materials and tools at hand. It is not recommended that you do this yourself but you can find many how to guides on the web explaining how to do so.
- Have a look at the intake grilles to make sure there is no blockage there. If the intake grilles are blocked then remove the object that is blocking the grille. Once removed, allow the evaporator coils to thaw completely out before you turn the system back on to see if this resolves the problem.
- Oftentimes, there might be to many registers that have been closed or blocked by furniture. Whenever this is the case it causes the air to be circulated into only one part of the home which can possibly cause the coils to freeze up. Generally, you do not want to have more than 10 or 20% of the registers closed off in your home. More than this and you risk the coils freezing up.
- Inspect the blower motor for the AC unit. If you happen to find it is not operating as intended or not running at all then this is most definitely the cause behind the coils freezing up and it will need to be replaced.
- If the temperature in the home has reached the setting at the thermostat then the outdoor unit should shut off as intended. However, if it has not shut off and is continually running then there is most likely a problem with a contactor. Contact a professional AC service company, such as, Minuteman Heating and Air to service the outdoor unit and rectify the problem.
- Finally, there might be a problem with the refrigerant in the system, it is possible there is a leak and the system will need to be re-charged. However, if there is a leak, then the leak will need to be found and fixed and / or replaced.Otherwise, the leak will continue discharging the refrigerant over time and it will need to be tapped off frequently.
Frequent maintenance and inspection of your air conditioning unit will increase the life cycle of the system as well as decrease the homes energy consumption. If you would like to have your unit inspected and maintained you can give Minuteman Heating and Air a call today. We will be more than happy to assist you with your needs and promptly send one of our qualified HVAC technicians to your home right away.
About Minuteman Heating and Air
Minuteman Heating and Air is one of the predominate leaders in the field of air conditioning service in Mansfield, TX. Experience, education and unparalleled professionalism make us one of the most respected companies in Arlington, TX and the surrounding metropolitan area. Minuteman Heating and Air is the go to source for full key solutions whenever you need air conditioning service in Mansfield, TX or surrounding areas. When you reach out to us you can rest assured knowing that will receive the highest quality heating and cooling service in the metropolitan area by professional technicians that have the skillset, experience and know-how to provide you with the best service and satisfaction possible.
Minuteman Heating and Air provides heating and cooling solutions to Arlington, Mansfield, and the surrounding metropolitan area. Our NATE certified technicians provide our customers with unparalleled services. We service both residential and commercial, and whether you are looking for installation, maintenance or even repairs, you can count on us. If you are in need of assistance with your heating and cooling system for your home or your business and you are looking for reliable and professional air conditioning service in Mansfield, TX that you can count on then give Minuteman Heating and Air a call today. When you hire Minuteman Heating and Air, one of our professional and NATE certified technicians will come onsite to assist you and provide you with the professional heating and cooling services that you require. For superior air conditioning service in Mansfield, TX that you can count on every single time, Minuteman Heating and Air is the right choice.