Calling A Professional Air Conditioning Service Is Your Best Bet! | Mansfield, TX
Very rarely do we think about how life without an air conditioner can become miserable very quickly, especially on days when extreme temperatures are raging outdoors. As long as an air conditioner keeps cool air flowing into your home, you probably won’t give it a second thought, until something happens and it stops working. That’s when I realize the importance of this appliance, and start worrying about getting it fixed. But, when you are in the middle of a heat wave, getting a professional air conditioning service in Mansfield, TX, to come to your aid quickly can be downright difficult, and you may find yourself thinking about trying to fix it yourself. Before you head to the garage to find your tools, we suggest you take a deep breath and erase those thoughts from your mind.
Yes, we know, you found that awesome video online that will help you get cool air flowing into your house with a few turns of a screw, and a good whack with your wrench. But did you know that tinkering with your air conditioner, if you haven’t been formally trained to do so, could result in the complete loss of your unit and serious injury to yourself? Sadly, that’s exactly what could happen. The only repairs any untrained person should attempt on an air conditioner are basic troubleshooting tasks. For anything else, you should always call for help from a reputable air conditioning service to get the job done correctly and safely, saving you time, money, and exasperation. Let’s take a look at what you need to know about professional AC service, and why it is so important you have it done before your system breaks down completely.
The Value of Maintenance
Air conditioning service in Mansfield, TX, is not only about repairing an air conditioner that has already stopped working correctly. The truth of the matter is that air conditioning service is much more than that and is mainly targeted at providing preventative maintenance to your system in order to prevent unexpected malfunctions.
As we mentioned above, people don’t always pay attention to their Mansfield, TX, home’s air conditioner until it starts giving them grief, and this is probably the worst mistake they can make. In essence, air conditioners are similar to cars. They need regular maintenance and upkeep in order for them to continue working efficiently. It goes without saying that you would never allow your car to go without an oil change or a tune up, right? A car is expensive and repairs can be quite costly. Well, the same stands true for your Mansfield, TX, home’s air conditioner. Providing regular air conditioning service and maintenance will ensure you are able to avoid costly repairs before they become necessary.
Some people might argue that air conditioning service involves spending money, but think of it as an investment in the future. By spending a little money on providing maintenance to your air conditioner once or twice a year, you can save the large amount of money you would have to spend when it finally breaks down. Additionally, a regular air conditioning service schedule will make your unit run more effectively, which will save you money on your monthly power bill. If that is not enough to convince you of the value of professional air conditioning service, think about the medical bills you could avoid. You read that right, an air conditioner that is working as it should, will help improve the quality of the air circulating inside your Mansfield, TX, home, which can alleviate some types of allergies. If you have very young children or elderly relatives living with you, the cool air can help offset some of the consequences of exposure to extreme heat, and can save you the money you would have to spend on a hotel when your unit decides to break down in the middle of a heat wave. Convinced? Of course, you are! So, let’s move on to the nitty-gritty of what air conditioning service entails.
When Should Maintenance Be Performed?
The rule of thumb is that you should schedule a professional air conditioning service appointment at least once a year, but in some cases you should get it done twice yearly. The best time to get your unit serviced is before the hottest days of the year start and after they end. This means that once winter is over you should have your air conditioner serviced as soon as possible so you can be sure that it will work throughout the hottest days of summer without any unpleasant surprises when the heat strikes hard. Once summer is over and the weather starts cooling down, you can schedule a second visit to make sure the stress and wear of working in extreme heat is repaired and your unit continues to work efficiently and effectively throughout the fall, without any problem at all.
Keep in mind that the summer months bring with them larger amounts of dust and grime in the air. All of this dirt and debris will settle on the components of your air conditioner, which can cause problems such as poor air flow, the inability to cool the air correctly, and even overheating, which is why, after an especially hard summer, air conditioning service is a must. Because even if you don’t use your AC in the winter, the last thing you want is for the damage of the summer to fester and wreak havoc on your system, so a bit of maintenance will definitely be in order.
What You Can Do To Prevent Major Problems
As we mentioned at the start of this article, there are a few basic troubleshooting tasks that you can safely perform on your own to keep your air conditioner working as it should. Doing these things regularly will help extend the lifespan of your system, as well as keep your Mansfield, TX, home’s temperature at a comfortable and healthy level. Let’s talk about these tasks.
- Take a look at your thermostat – Oftentimes, your home’s thermostat may be guilty of creating any unexpected problems with your home’s air conditioner. Make sure to take a look at it once in a while to make sure it is showing the correct temperature and that its settings are established adequately. This way, if something else is going on, you can be sure that your call to a professional air conditioning service will not have been in vain.
- Change your air filters regularly – This simple task is possibly one of the best things you can do for your home’s air conditioner. Clogged and dirty air filters are the second most common reason for AC malfunction. Changing the air filter every 3 or 4 months, or even more often if required, will keep your unit working efficiently, consuming less power, and maintaining the quality of the air you breathe all throughout the year. There is no need to wait for your scheduled air conditioning service appointment, as this task is simple enough to be done by almost anybody. Just make sure you get the right filter and that you place it correctly.
- Remove anything blocking your outdoor unit – Sometimes objects tend to accumulate near your AC’s outdoor unit, blocking the adequate entrance of air into it. This places untold amounts of stress on your system and can lead to a burnt compressor. Always make sure there is a 3 foot clearance around your air conditioner’s outdoor unit to prevent any costly problems.
These three tasks, although simple in nature, can help you save a lot of money on future repairs and even the replacement of your system by removing any excessive stress from your air conditioner. So, don’t wait for a professional to point them out to you, and get them done regularly so you can continue to enjoy the cool air your AC produces.
What Does Professional Maintenance Involve?
By now you are probably wondering why you would need to call for professional air conditioning service if you have already cleared out the space around your unit, changed the air filter, and reset your thermostat. But professional maintenance involves much more than just those activities, and is designed to make sure any future issues are resolved before they rear their ugly heads. Let’s take a look at what you can expect during your visit.
- Visual inspection and diagnosis – When your maintenance technician arrives at your home, the first thing they will do is visually inspect all of the components of your system. They will check everything from the compressor and drainage pans, to the vents and electrical connections. It is at this point that the tech will be able to detect any potential problems that could be brewing, in order to make an exact diagnosis for repair, if necessary. If nothing major is found, the maintenance procedure will continue.
- Cleaning the components – Once the visual inspection is over and a diagnosis has been discussed with you, the tech will proceed to clean all of your air conditioner’s components, ensuring that any dust, debris, and dirt that impedes their normal performance is removed. During this process, the tech will also check for any leaks, and other worn parts, and carry out any replacements as needed.
- Final inspection – When your air conditioning service tech has finished cleaning and correcting any issues with your system’s components, they will perform a second and final inspection to verify that everything has been performed correctly and no debris or issues are forgotten.
- Test – This final step of your air conditioning service involves running your system to determine if it is cooling adequately and no other issues appear. The tech will verify that no strange smells or weird noises are present and that the thermostat settings are appropriate. Once this has been done, you can rest assured that you will probably not have any further problems during the rest of the season.
Still Tempted To Do It Yourself?
So, air conditioning service seems easy, right? Sure, when things are done by professionals they look easy, but that doesn’t mean they actually are. If you are still thinking about doing it yourself, even after everything we’ve talked about, here is one more reason for you to call a reputable professional for air conditioning service: You could put your entire family in danger and your home at risk.
When you haven’t been properly trained to fix your air conditioner, it is very easy to make mistakes, no matter how many times you rewind that video you found online. One mistake can lead to toxic chemicals being released into your home, which will put your family’s health in jeopardy. A mistake with your Air conditioner’s wiring, can result in an electrical fire that could burn down your entire home. Not using the correct tools can result in serious injury to yourself, and you could end up ruining your air conditioning system beyond any repair, leading you to spend a large amount of money you probably haven’t planned for to replace your air conditioner. So yes, your best bet is to always leave air conditioning service to the pros.
At Minuteman Heating & Air, we are always happy to help you get cool air flowing into your Mansfield, TX, home once again. Our air conditioning service is always performed by well-trained and knowledgeable techs, so you can be sure they will get the job done right, the first time and all the time. Our years in business are our guarantee to you, and our reputation will always back up the work we do.
There is no reason why you should have to suffer with an inefficient and malfunctioning air conditioner when you and your family need cool air the most, so don’t hesitate to pick up your phone and give us a call to schedule an appointment today. Additionally, we are more than happy to provide answers to any questions about our services you may have, so call us and let us know how we can help!