Tired of your heater not keeping you warm? Or of your air conditioner not cooling the room properly? It sort of defeats the purpose of having a heater or air conditioner if you are facing these issues. But rest assured, there are many different steps that will help you get the best out of your unit.
Starting with heaters as the summers are gone and winter is coming, it is crucial that we have our heaters up and running especially in Arlington winters.
Furnace troubleshooting and repairs
Before you call a technician and spend money on repairs or on finding heating and air condition services in Arlington, TX, it would be best to follow the steps below to resolve your issues on your own.
Heating or cycling problems
- Make sure nothing is blocking the air flow.
- Check the thermostat and make sure it is set at the appropriate temperature. Try changing the temperature and wait for awhile.
- Be sure the room’s heating registers are open.
- Replace the filters as the issue might be due to dirty or clogged filters.
Furnace does not heat at all
- Double check that the heater’s thermostat is set to heating if you have a heating and cooling system.
- The furnace circuit breaker should be on. If that is not the case, a fuse might have blown. In this case, replace the fuse and check that all the sub panels are supplying power to the unit. Turning the fuse on or off might even be a remedy.
- The furnace heat switch must be on. If it is off, then the unit will not heat properly.
- The motor sometimes needs to be restarted due to an overload. There is a reset button near the blower’s housing. Press it, if nothing happens, then wait thirty minutes and try again.
- If the heater still doesn’t work, confirm that the thermostat isn’t faulty.
Noisy heater or furnace
- If the furnace makes rattling noises while running, make sure that all the cover panels are attached properly. If you feel that they are a little loose, then tighten the screws.
- Squealing sounds usually happen when the fan belt slips.
- Popping sound from the duct work will be fixed if you make a small dent in the sheet metal to provide a rigid service that is likely to move when heating or cooling.
Air conditioner troubleshooting tips
Now let’s move on the different troubleshooting steps for an air conditioner.
If your AC is not working at all
- Be sure it is receiving power from the main power source.
- Reset the equipment’s switches. This might resolve the issue if there was an overload
- Check the thermostat setting.
- Make sure that the condensate switch is on.
If your AC is not cooling, but turns on
- Turn off the power completely.
- Clean or replace the air filters.
- Check the coils and see if ice has formed on the coils. If you find any ice, turn on the fan and unit to melt it.
- Clean the condensate drain
- Make sure the outdoor unit is working and clean it if necessary.
Central AC not working at all
- Check the main power panel and find out if there is a tripped breaker or blown fuse.
- The thermostat should be set to cool.
- Check the compressors capacitor and wires
- Remove the thermostat cover after turning off the air conditioner and replace the battery. Make sure you don’t pinch any wires when putting the cover back on.
If the steps given above do not resolve the issue, then you have no choice but to get hold of a heating and air condition service in Arlington, TX. This will not be difficult as it seems if you take the appropriate steps given below.
Getting an air condition or heater fixed by a Pro
Here’s how you can find the right technicians for your needs:
Ask for referrals
This is probably the best way to make the process easier. Ask your friends or family if they have ever had any problems with their units and how they got them repaired.
Use their experience to your advantage by making sure you don’t make any mistakes that they might have made. Furthermore, by asking around, you will get a concise list of heating and air condition services in Arlington, TX, before you decide on getting the appropriate repairs done.
It will also give you an idea on what to expect when the technician arrives at your doorstep.
It cannot be stressed enough as to how important this is, as it gives you knowledge of a vast range of repair shops available in your area so you can choose the one closest to your location.
Another advantage of searching online is that most websites provide an estimate after taking into consideration the issue you are facing. This can help you choose the most cost effective repair shop.
You can also set an appointment at your own convenience online and any parts that the technician needs can be pre-ordered, saving your precious time. Since the technician is already aware of the issues you are facing, it will help them provide you with a more efficient and effective service.
Get help from a licensed and registered company
Make sure the company you are choosing is registered and that the technicians they employ are certified professionals who specialize in heater or air conditioner repairs.
Make sure there is a guarantee on the repairs or services
Finally make sure that the company you choose has a guarantee on the repairs they perform as well as a guarantee for the parts they replace.
Some companies offer a seven day guarantee on all repairs and services while others provide a time frame of two weeks.
Every company has its own set of policies that they adhere to so it’s up to you in the end as to which company’s policies best suit your scenario.
The troubleshooting steps given above will resolve all common issues. If not, find the best heating and air condition services in Arlington, TX, for your needs with the tips given above.